Friday 10 August 2007

Are you a cheesy Christian?

Today I managed to speak to Prof. Kajsa Ahlstrand about her definitions of soft and hard forms of Christianity and she told me about her cheese board approach to defining forms of religion. I was really impressed by this - especially as she was able to do it in about 90 seconds with a very straight forward doodle on a piece of paper.

I am not sure I know how to doodle on a blog - in fact I am sure I don't know how to but I may find a way around this by the end of the day - we'll see . Ideally of course I would like an interactive cheeseboard where you can all decide what kind of cheesey Christian you are and you could even place your cheesey self on the board (hmm despite promising not to get involved in editing it is probably cheesey and not cheesy isn't it?). Anyway I digress as usual.

In Kajsa's concept there is hard religion and soft religion (write the word hard at the top of a piece of paper and the word soft at the bottom, draw a vertical line between them), then there is also strong religion and mild religion (on the same piece of paper half way down on the left write the word strong and on the opposite side on the right write the word mild and again link them but with a horizontal line). You now have the beginnings of your chequered cheese board and you can begin to put in the cheeses. She does this with Italian cheese but I dare say this can be inculturated into cheeses you like and know.

So top left - hard and strong would be parmesan; opposite it hard and mild would be Fontina
bottom left strong and soft would be gorgonzola and opposite that soft and mild would be mozzarella. Kajsa would see most European Christians as clearly in the mozzarella camp.

I'm definitely a gorgonzola or possibly a very smelly ripe stilton. Rather glad blue cheese is where I'm at. It's one of the things I introduced my husband to when we moved to France- there is a rather good local blue called bleu de Gex
And of course blue cheese is best eaten with significant slurps of red wine and some really good bread. So what kind of cheese are you?

No comments: