Friday 10 August 2007

Kaddish for the cardinal

As Cardinal Lustiger's funeral is held today I was moved to read in this blog that it is said that he went to say kaddish for his mother at one of Paris' synagoges.

http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2007/08/kaddish-for-cardinal.html

I don't know how to say kaddish - twice at Jewish funerals I have felt a very powerful sense of loss, loss of history, loss of language ( I speak neither Hebrew nor Yiddish) and a loss of liturgy and religious observance - my Jewish forbears had been for the most part secular for several generations. I'm probably the only one who has ever taken stones to place on the family graves in Berlin, it takes the third generation Chrisitan to remember the religous folk practices.
As French Catholics mourn the convert cardinal I remember two others of that same generation, my own father who died two years ago this month and my spiritual mentor Alain Blancy whose grave also sometimes receives stones on my irregular Protestant visits. Mentioning them here is my form of kaddish.
My mother will no doubt mark the date by drinking coffee in the Stranz square café!

http://planningis50.com/walter-stranz-an-appreciation/

No comments: